JOB TITLE: Animal Care Tech
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Animal Care Supervisors
POSITION OVERVIEW: Kennel Assistants maintain clean, healthy and safe kennel and indoor/outdoor exercise areas for Operation Kindness cats and dogs. They also regularly feed and provide them with water, and regularly exercise the dogs in play groups or individually.
KENNEL ASSISTANT POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cleans and sanitizes dog and cat kennels and cages as soon as possible after it soiled.
- Regularly cleans and sanitizes kennel walls and floors; polishes windows and doors.
- Regularly cleans and sanitizes the grooming room.
- Cleans and sanitizes dog porches after each use
- Keeps outside exercise areas free of solid waste.
- Maintains a clean and neat area
- Feeds animals regularly according to the written feeding procedure.
- Ensures that there is an adequate supply of food and water on hand.
- Keeps food room clean and neat.
- Ensures dogs are walked and exercised regularly throughout the day.
Other duties as assigned or requested
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalent
- One year of part-time or full-time work experience for which references are available
- Previous Kennel or Animal Care experience preferred
- Feels and expresses a genuine liking for animals and for working in an animal care environment.
- Supports Operation Kindness’s mission and understands how it is organized and functions as a non-profit organization.
- Is able to work equally well with paid staff members, clients and volunteers.
- Is able to relate well to persons with varied backgrounds and beliefs.
- Position requires lifting and carrying animals and shelter materials weighting up to 40 lbs; when animals or materials weigh over 40 lbs, another staff member will assist in the lifting and carrying.
- Position also requires standing for extended periods of time. Position requires walking, bending and lifting for extended periods of time.
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and animal diseases.